Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Research Project

For my project, I'd like to explore how people personalize space in a more insular environment, particularly solitary dwellers, specifically relating to objects in the spaces. I think this would involve looking at the tie between the 'stuff' itself and what the stuff has to do with the idea of a particular space. Also, why people hang on to certain things but not others - like some objects that are constantly in a space that is otherwise dynamic.

There is a phenomenon in New York and probably other cities (and I'm sure outside cities also, but I find the phenomenon most compelling in cities) whereby "hoarders" exist - people who have ridiculous amounts of seemingly valueless stuff - old newspapers, old clothing and shoes, even empty containers. This would an extreme example of genuine eccentricity, and I don't want to verge into exploring mental illness, but I think that the principle might apply to different levels of 'hoarding.'

I think that some objects' perceived value versus actual (Personal) value might be strangely divergent. Even legitimate minimalists hang onto things which serve no real purpose, even on a grounding or psychological level, but upon even a little thought or reflection or goading they discover that their lives are not only no worse without the objects, but actually better and more liberated.

Some questions that that end might be what significance is attached to objects that are associated with a space, how it acquired that significance, and if the significance either fades over time or was illegitimate to begin with.

************

My favorite piece or writing this semester so far was Zelinksy's article 'The Uniqueness of the American Religious Landscape.' I like his narrative style - it presents the evidence in a clear way yet was still full of anecdotal examples that made it colorful and enjoyable. I think he also was able to interject some of his own views in a subtle way that still allowed the reader to draw his/her own conclusions.

No comments: